Tuesday, February 7, 2012

STRATEGIC THINKING STARTS WITH ASKING “WHY?”

STRATEGIC THINKING STARTS WITH ASKING “WHY?” Why can be the most difficult and frustrating of questions. Every parent whose been challenged by their child’s curiosity -- Why is the sky blue? Where do babies comes from? Why do I have to go to bed? – knows that the bigger the question the tougher the answer.

Unfortunately, parents’ inadequate answers and lack of patience do little to feed our children’s insatiable curiosity. Instead their sponge-like minds too often absorb lazy responses like “That’s God’s favorite color” or “storks” or “Because I said so.” Until finally, invariably, unfortunately, most children outgrow their boundless curiosity.

But then, later in life when we need to ask big questions and think strategically, adult-size curiosity can be difficult to muster. And even when someone is brave enough to interrupt a rambling presentation with “Why?” the response is usually a blank stare, or more rambling.

Consider, for example, big concerns related to aging such as healthcare, affordable housing, home support services. Progress based on the narrow thinking and messaging of special-interest groups is getting us nowhere.

Abstract numbers and unfathomable worst-case scenarios do not resonate with the average person, who is every cause’s number one target audience.

Instead, we need relatable messages -- that explain why and how these concerns are personal, and that take advantage of the biological fact that aging impacts everyone, of all ages.

When a child asks “Why do we grow old,” we should be able to answer “Because it’s good for you.”

1 comment:

  1. "When a child asks 'Why do we grow old,' we should be able to answer 'Because it’s good for you.'"
    I think the phrase above is going to be my new favorite saying. My grandmother once told me, "Teri, don't ever get old." I responded by asking her if she was telling me that I should die young because that's the only alternative to growing old! She laughed and told me that, of course she didn't want me to die young. I will likely still relay the story about my grandmother to my gerontology classes; however, I'm also going to add the true reason we grow old: "Because it's good for you."

    ReplyDelete